Job Scope: To plan and direct the processing of applications and tracking review results for all construction projects within the organization. The Permit Specialist is responsible for the preparation and delivery of all permit applications. The Permit Specialist shall receive directive to start the permit process from the Production Manager. The Permit Specialist shall be responsible to prepare permit packages, submit them based on the local requirements and follow up until approvals are received. The Permit Specialist liaises with the Sales Department throughout the permitting process, informing on statues, as well as the Accounting Department to request the required fees.
Essential Functions / Major Responsibilities of Permit Specialist:
- Manage the construction permitting processes, from preparation through approval process. Responsible for filing all permits with information. Organize permits with the appropriate set of plans needs.
- Maintains accurate records of filed permits, as well as appropriate supporting documentation.
- Liaise with townships, and municipalities to understand the application process and follow through until approvals are granted.
- Maintain understanding of code and local law requirements.
- Manage relationships with township gatekeepers and officers. Adapt personality and tone for rapport building.
- Perform one calls and maintain record of tickets prior to the start of projects.
- Provide weekly updates to Sales and Construction Team Leaders.
- Acts as a liaison between the superintendents and townships to Request final inspections.
- Maintains records of Use & Occupancy permits in the appropriate file share program. Informing the Sales team upon receipt.
- Organize and capture stormwater management forms.
- Maintain smartsheet with all dates, including file, engineering, truss, Recheck and permit pick up dates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to multi-task & provide exceptional customer service.
- Communicate using the following tools: telephone, fax machine, written logs, email, and computer.
- Having a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite of Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Smartsheets.
- Strong working ability to read and interpret Blueprints.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary, to reach goals. Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Proven experience in an administrative or relevant position.
- Must be able to travel to jurisdictions as needed.
Computer and Mathematical Skills:
Must possess a working knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Suite of products to include, but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position involves prolonged periods of standing or sitting at a desk, working at a computer.
- Long hours may be required to meet project deadlines.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and other business machines.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk.
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- Articulate clearly in a conversational manner.
- Physically able to move/lift to 15 lbs.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $19.00 - $22.00 per hour