RXR is an innovative investor, developer and place-maker committed to applying a customer and community-centered approach to building properties, services, and products that create enduring value for all stakeholders. Headquartered in New York with a national platform strategy, RXR is a 500+ person, vertically integrated operating and development company with expertise in a wide array of value creation activities, including ground up real estate, infrastructure, and industrial development, uncovering value in underperforming properties, repurposing well-located iconic properties, incorporating cutting edge technologies and value-added lending. The RXR platform manages 84 commercial real estate properties and investments with an aggregate gross asset value of $22.4 billion, comprising approximately 30.3 million square feet of commercial properties, a multi-family residential portfolio of approximately 6,900 units under operation or development, and control of development rights for an additional approximately 2,900 multi-family and for-sale units.
Our team, over 500 people strong, is proven across all facets of real estate, place-making, customer experiences, and building community. We’re proud to be a leader in creating high quality-of-life communities across the New York metropolitan region.
Be at the forefront of shaping the future of real estate for the 21st century. Come join our team!
RXR is currently looking for a Helper.
The Helper will be responsible for assisting the Shift Engineers responsible for the maintenance of all mechanical systems at [insert Property name]. Under the instruction and supervision of an Engineer, the Helper will coordinate, interpret, maintain, and repair facility equipment, including but not limited to switch gear, panel boards, distribution, lighting, and lighting control equipment, plumbing systems, HVAC systems, Life Safety systems, etc. at the facility to ensure continuous and proper operation in the most economical fashion.
This is a Night Shift position from 2:00pm to 10:00pm with occasional overtime and weekends.
- Work closely with Engineers to evaluate contractors’ performance, adherence to the plans, and resulting well-being of the Building.
- Work with Engineers to perform MEP repairs, tenant work order repairs, preventative maintenance, emergency repairs, and budgeted projects.
- Respond to emergencies and other sudden or unanticipated events and reports of abnormal/adverse conditions.
- Assist Engineers to maintain base building equipment as directed (e.g., periodic lubrication, regular air filter changes, periodic inspections, convector cleaning, chilled water plant work)
- Monitor HVAC equipment, cooling tower/condenser water systems (two operate 24/7/365) and domestic hot water.
- Painting of equipment and machinery rooms
- Implement repairs to base building equipment as may be necessary or facilitate same by outside entities as directed by Engineers.
- Monitor water treatment; maintain treatment equipment.
- Respond to service requests from tenants via the Building’s work order management system, Angus, e.g., picture-hanging, restroom repairs, hot/cold calls, other various engineering-type services.
- Ensure actions and repairs internally and externally follow the Building Rules and Regulations, and applicable codes and labor regulations.
- Assist Engineers to administer fire alarm/fire suppression systems shutdowns, as necessary.
- Conduct fire alarm tests and watches, as necessary.
- Conduct visual checks of property exterior, setbacks, roofs, and sewage pumps.
- Under close supervision, start appropriate HVAC equipment (e. g., base building AHU’s, chilled water plant, domestic hot water) as necessary.
- Replace light bulbs in non-contracted areas as required.
- Read utility meters.
- Accommodate DOB, FDNY, DEP, & ConEd personnel as necessary for monthly meter readings, inspections, tests, and requests
- Accommodate window cleaners as necessary for semi-annual window cleaning.
- Accommodate building management and leasing requests, as necessary.
- Accommodate outside contractors as necessary for work undertaken by building or tenants.
- Serve as fire brigade member.
- Minimize tenant disturbances.
- Ensure high level of tenant satisfaction and tenant requests are met in a timely manner.
- Address problems as soon as possible with careful attention to prioritization
Essential Physical Abilities
- Ability to walk up and down stairs for inspections and emergency procedure practice and/or implementation.
- Ability to detect emergency alarms and alarm conditions – by auditory, visual, and olfactory senses.
- Ability to inspect equipment located on roofs or other high places.
- Ability to climb to roof of the building using stairways during conditions of power loss and during other emergencies.
- Ability to work on hands and knees for inspection, repair or maintenance of equipment located low to the roof, floor slabs or ground.
- Ability to work weekends and extended hours.
- Ability to respond 24/7 to building emergencies.
- Ability to climb ladders to conduct inspections, maintenance, and repairs.
- Ability to move heavy objects a minimum of 50lbs with the aid of appropriate tools and equipment.
- Ability to carry heavy objects, such as five (5) gallon pails up several flights of stairs.
Ideal Experience / Education
- Mechanically inclined with basic knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Strong problem identification, reasoning, interpersonal skills, and ability to multi-task.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Detail oriented in all tasks, repairs, construction oversight, etc.
- Ability to use technology such as: smart phones, tablets, computers, web-based applications, Building Management systems, and Work Order Management Systems.
- Ability to work with basic MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- 1+ year of related experience in a commercial property setting preferred.
- Experience with project management and scheduling preferred.
- Knowledgeable of sustainability efforts and practices preferred.
RXR is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds regardless of gender, race, color, creed, national origin, religion, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.