Paralegal – Property Litigation
We have an exciting opportunity for a Paralegal to join our Property Litigation team.
At Michelmores, we put our clients at the heart of everything we do. With offices in Exeter, London and Bristol we work with a diverse range of clients who provide our lawyers with the high-quality, intellectually stimulating and exciting work they thrive on.
We have a strategic focus on Private Wealth, Finance & Investment and Real Estate sectors. We also have strong sector support for Energy, Manufacturing and Technology & Innovation.
With a total complement of around 450 lawyers, professional advisers, paralegals and business service staff, we are the largest professional services firm based in the region. Our longstanding history and solid values have created an entrepreneurial environment where we treat all people, clients and employees alike, as individuals. We pride ourselves on the leading role we play in the business community and our ability to make our connections count for our clients, old and new.
The Property Litigation team is led by Andrew Baines, a partner who is Chambers and Legal 500 ranked and sits within the highly regarded Real Estate team.
The team represent clients in court proceedings, mediations, arbitrations, and other kinds of property dispute resolution. Acting for a wide range of clients including government departments and bodies, local authorities, educational and ecclesiastical institutions, commercial and residential developers and investors as well as numerus private individuals.
- Based in the Exeter office but opportunities to travel to Bristol and London and with some working from home.
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all firm and client documentation and/or information.
- Ensure client and matter records are made and maintained in line with the firm's procedures.
- Manage files diligently and review each regularly.
- Researching law.
- Compliance with internal policies and procedures, ethical standards and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain regular contact with the client and keep him/her informed at all times.
- Deal promptly with all client enquiries and correspondence.
- Maintain effective communication with colleagues across the firm, as required.
- Adhere to the Solicitor's Regulation Authority (SRA) Client Care directive and ensure the client care documentation is issued at the relevant time.
- Perform substantive legal work and provide legal support to the client
- Prepare applications for clients – see the process through from start to finish
- Complete development agreements, maintenance and FM agreements, consultant appointments, collateral warranties, all forms of security documentation, project monitoring and dispute avoidance.
- Assist the partners with growing the practice by preparing details for seminars, drafting email bulletins and participate in business development events.
- Ensure clients are aware of all legal services across the firm.
- Understand the obligations relating to client accounts and ensure that the preparation and service of bills complies with Solicitors Accounts Rules.
- Maintain time recording on client matters on a daily basis in accordance with the firm's procedures.
- We are looking for an enthusiastic, friendly team player who has excellent attention to detail and a 'can do' approach to work.
- Have excellent organisational skills as each file has strict deadlines to adhere to
- Be able to manage conflicting priorities and deadlines in a flexible and proactive way
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills as the successful candidate will need to deliver outstanding client service in the day to day contact with clients
- Become a vital member of a busy, friendly team and will thrive from the opportunity to deliver a first class service to some of our key clients
- Law graduate / CILEx qualified / previous relevant experience of working as a paralegal is advantageous. It would be an additional advantage to have completed the LPC.
- Previous experience of working in a legal environment is desirable.
- Experience of working in a client facing role is desirable.
- Demonstrable experience of consistently delivering exceptional customer service standards would be an advantage.
- Used to working to deadlines.
- Experience of working in a process driven environment.
· Previous experience in Property Litigation is desirable.
This is a great opportunity to join a forward thinking and fast-paced team.
As a firm we are committed to supporting our people across all levels to achieve the balance they need. We work in a flexible and agile working environment, and we are open to talk flexible working to empower any candidate to put forward a working pattern to meet their needs. This is something we would be happy to discuss more during the process.
Michelmores LLP is an Equal Opportunities Employer
We do not discriminate on grounds of race, gender, marital status, age, religion, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, disability or sexual orientation in the selection, recruitment and treatment of our staff.
View our Diversity and Equality page for more information.
Job Type: Full-time
- Gym membership
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Private medical insurance
- Referral programme
- Sick pay
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Exeter, EX2 5WR: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Paralegal: 1 year (preferred)