This is an unparalleled opportunity for an Executive Director, Real Estate Operations.
This position is responsible for providing leadership at the regional level for Real Estate Strategy and Operations (RESO) services. The Executive Director is accountable for the complete life cycle for built environment real estate portfolio including real estate, construction, facilities, and EVS are adhered to and the real property assets within the region are aligned with the strategic goals of the region and the system. This position is accountable for the oversight and management of all real estate assets to include acute care facilities, ambulatory, post-acute, office and other assets in the assigned region. The portfolio includes Providence and its affiliates.
The Real Estate Strategy and Operations (RESO) division is accountable for 21.1M sf of non-acute managed space; 645 assets, over 2,400 leases (various product types) and 19.6M sf acute care (50 facilities). Portfolio market value is estimated at $10B. Gross revenue is $350M with expenses at $345M.
The Executive Director, Real Estate Operations will:
- Recruit, hire and manage leadership team over real estate, facilities, construction, EVS staff within the region.
- Partner directly with Regional executive leadership to define and implement regional real estate, operations, design and construction strategy that supports the operational strategy and objectives of the Region.
- Build and maintain relationships with service area and ministry leadership teams to ensure RESO services are exceeding all expectations.
- Communicate and prioritize implementation of system wide RESO standards for operations, asset management and productivity by service.
- Ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects.
- Support capital and resource analysis and request management.
- Responsible for both strategic and financial performance of real property assets portfolio.
- Responsible to lead and sustain standards for construction, design, facilities and EVS and portfolio returns.
- Responsible to represent RESO to the region’s specific leadership, strategy or other councils, as appropriate.
- Accountable for the financial performance of all owned, managed and leased sites in their region. Industry standard financial reporting will to be provided monthly and annually, including cash flows as applicable.
- Participate in the master plan process for the acute care facilities and the accompanying ambulatory strategy. Responsible for representing organization with local and state agencies including HCAI
- Accountable for developing a portfolio wide real estate strategy for evaluation, selection and acquisition, and disposition of owned and leased sites consistent with regional and system strategic goals.
- Responsible for ensuring policies and standards for construction projects are consistent and adhered.
- Accountable for the leasing and management of all owned and leased facilities within region (with the exception of acute care facilities).
- Responsible for the oversight of the main campus and satellite operations including TJC/CMS standards as applicable to hospital licensed space, and ensures that policies and procedures that govern this area of accountability are established and adhered.
- Accountable for lease negotiations and ensures that leases are consistent with system standards and policies as well as Stark Laws and bond finance rules (i.e. tainted space).
- Responsible for local vendor selection adhering to set system standards and policies.
- Accountable for submitted capital actions plans for budgeted year. Prioritizes, approves and tracks capital funding for tenant improvement projects and equipment.
- Must be able to travel not only throughout region but across the system as needed.
Required experience/education for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years progressive leadership experience in the field of real estate management or construction will be considered
- 10 or more years of functional experience in the area of real estate/construction
- Proven experience leading and growing teams with diverse experience and expertise
- Proven success in negotiation of real estate transactions (purchase and sale agreement, leases)
- Proven track record of successful contract negotiation
- Successful track record in the asset management of large real estate portfolios, including accountability for financial performance
- Proven track record of either construction project management delivery, or managing project management teams
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in both written and verbal forms with both internal and external customers
- Strong knowledge of real estate, lease and construction terminology as well as applicable laws
- Strong knowledge of building and facilities management
- Highly organized and demonstrated ability to prioritize
- Understanding of acquisitions, entitlements and the due diligence process
- Comfortable presenting to Board-level audience to include business case presentation and negotiation
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
- Strong verbal communication and listening skills
- Ability to lead/manage others
- Demonstrated excellent judgment and decision making skills
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism.
Preferred experience/education for this position include:
- Master’s degree in business administration, real estate or finance
- 10 years progressive leadership experience in the field of real estate management or construction
- Facilities management experience or certification.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God’s healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Leadership
Location: California-Santa Rosa
Req ID: 364571