San Francisco, CA
Retool is changing the way software is built. We’ve developed the fastest way to build internal tools, saving companies time, resources, and engineering bandwidth. We’re looking for the right people as we build a world-class team to support this mission.
Why we're looking for you
Retool will end the year with over 300 people, doubling in 2023. We’ve spent the last year building a world-class team and, with that growth, comes the need for productive, collaborative and vibrant workspaces and programs. In the next year, we'll be expanding our footprint and refining our employee experience. The Director of Real Estate and Workplace will be instrumental in supporting this growth with a constant eye towards helping people and Retool’s culture.
By joining a small startup, you’ll have a broad scope of responsibilities. This is a great opportunity for someone who wants to add significant value to a fast growing and dynamic company. You won’t be confined to what is written in the job description and we guarantee that the next month won’t look like the last!
What you'll do
You will be responsible for leading and evolving our global workplace experience and associated strategy for both in-office and remote employees. You and your team will build our real estate strategy, including identifying spaces, negotiating contracts, design, build-out and operation of workspaces. This will also include developing and maintaining an engaging, productive and inclusive work environment – ensuring that our workspaces operate seamlessly across multiple locations. In an ever changing global work environment, you’ll use a combination of first principle thinking and know-how from prior experience to determine direction.
Who you'll work with
Reporting to the Head of People Experience, the Director of Real Estate and Workplace will create inspiring productive spaces and develop, implement and manage programs to make Retool a great place to work. You’ll work closely with the cross-functional teams, regional business leaders and our leadership team to provide an engaging and positive experience for new and existing employees.
What you'll do:
- Partner with leadership to develop proactive plans for long-term real estate development and programs and services for our employees
- Identify team needs, build and manage a team of workplace professionals across multiple locations
- Design, implement and manage our workplace programs and services to create a welcoming and productive environment for our employees and visitors
- Quantitatively and qualitatively monitor workplace experience services for customer satisfaction, employee productivity and areas of opportunity
- Develop and manage service contracts and scope of services documentation with local, regional, and global providers
- Manage a team of outsourced partners and vendors delivering our services
- Maintain and revise processes, procedures, and standards for all aspects of the Workplace Experience programs
- Work closely with finance and other teams to ensure execution at scale, effective operation, and compliance
- Manage budget effectively, improve operating efficiencies, optimize vendor management and manage facilities for optimized outcomes and employee experience
- Use data tools to improve operations across all areas and gain insight into the team’s decision making
The skillset you'll bring:
- 10+ years of relevant experience (including but not limited to real estate or workplace teams) including strong management and team leadership capabilities
- Communication – Strong written and verbal skills, combined with the ability to engage with all levels of management in a confident, clear, and concise manner
- Financial Acumen – Ability to build out accurate budgets and forecasts, monitor budget to actuals, identify reasons for fluctuations and summarize the financial impacts of alternatives
- Excellent business judgment with the ability to create sound frameworks to drive toward decisions and organizational alignment
- Cultural Awareness – Understands cultural expectations and needs of regional workforce and offices. Adapt practices, services, and strategies to balance the local or functional specific needs with the global initiatives
- Solutions Driven – Execution driven and leads by example - we are still small and are looking for someone excited to be hands on as they build the team. Ability to supervise and lead initiatives to completion in a timely fashion
- Travel – The role will require periodic travel to the sites to meet with management, employees, staff, and vendors
OUR US BENEFITS:
- Generous medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(K) plan enrollment and matching up to an effective rate of 4%
- Paid company holidays and unlimited time off; take what you need!
- Annual continuing education stipend
- Paid parental leave and family planning support
- Wellness benefits including mental health, meditation support, OneMedical membership
Retool is the fast way to build internal tools. Visually design apps that interface with any database or API. Switch to code nearly anywhere to customize how your apps look and work. With Retool, you ship more apps and move your business forward—all in less time. Thousands of teams at companies like Amazon, DoorDash, Peloton, and Brex collaborate around custom-built Retool apps to solve internal workflows. To learn more, visit retool.com.