The role of the Commercial Loan Documentation Specialist team is to be the liaison between all parties in the commercial loan process and guide the journey of a loan request through origination life cycle. Commercial Loans may be large and complex and include Scored Small Business request . Responsibilities include the collection and preparation of data, ensuring all required information has been obtained and that all aspects of the due diligence process have been completed. The Specialist is responsible for maintaining a specialized knowledge of documentation, terminology, policies and procedures, and related laws and regulations at the Local, State and Federal levels. The Specialist must also stay current on Synovus Loan Policy. Sr Specialist handles more complex equests and mentors other specialists.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Due Diligence - Requests are assigned from the queue and Specialist is responsible for completing all due diligence functions to ensure the request meets Synovus loan policy guidelines, ensuring perfection of the Banks lien position and complies with all local, state and federal regulations. The following are the primary due diligence responsibilities essential for this position: Review loan request and credit approvals to determine loan intent and structure. Maintain and manage the closing checklist to ensure all required documentation is obtained. Request and gather all missing documentation for package completion. Displays a strong sense of ownership and accountability for work with keen attention to detail. Validates Organizational Documents and Beneficial Ownership. May assist with Ordering flood documents, appraisals, title insurance, environmental, UCC searches and other required information from internal and 3rd party vendors. Performs all functions utilizing a variety of banking and lending system applications. Reviews and analyzes flood documentation, appraisals, title insurance, environmental, UCC searches and other pre-closing items received from internal and 3rd party vendors. Identify and report deficiencies. Assists with resolving exceptions and transactional issues from obtained documentation to ensure clear title, perfecting the security interest in the various types of collateral pledged to the Bank, and prevent policy exceptions. Responsible for monitoring and keeping the lender apprised of any issues/problems that may arise and need attention. Assist Banker with resolution. Continuously tracks due diligence timeline ensuring completion for timely closing. Reviews approved loans for any conditions that need to be met prior to closing. Ensures all conditions have been met. Accurately maintains information and consistently follows-up to minimize delays and ensure turnaround time SLA's are met. Coordinates entire process, ensuring continued communication between teams. Prepares and sends Attorney engagement letters. Works independently and as a team, draws meaningful conclusions and develops recommendations to resolve issues. Manages time effectively to meet short deadlines.
- "Document Preparation -Primary responsibility is to provide a complete and accurate loan closing package as listed below:
- Prepares all documents needed to close a loan and protect the bank's security interest. Reviews loan documents for accuracy, regulatory compliance and adherence to lender's specific requirements with particular attention paid to rates, terms, collateral, covenants and guarantees. May prepare loan documents outside of loan operating system. Prepares loan agreements, including asset-based loan agreements, defining additional loan provisions, financial statement requirements and other covenants, as detailed in the loan approval. Maintains knowledge in preparing documents for all types of commercial loans to include but not limited to: Real Estate, Non-Real Estate, Unsecured, Lines of Credit, Construction loans, term loans, crop loans, extensions, renewals and modifications. Maintains knowledge of current lending policies, procedures and regulations. Works with attorneys to ensure attorney prepared requests are accurate compared to the loan approval. Organizes and assembles documentation package for loan closing. Examines for accuracy and completion. Ensures documents are completed in a timely manner ahead of scheduled closing date and time. Displays a strong sense of ownership and accountability for work with keen attention to detail. Assists other Specialists as needed.
- "Communication - Strong Oral and Written communication skills are required. Analyst will have direct contact with Internal and External Customers. Responsibilities include:
- May reach out via telephone or email to Attorney's, title companies, flood vendors, appraisers, CPA's, accountants, and other 3rd party vendors to order, follow-up or obtain needed information. Transmits documentation, emails, and/or packages to lenders, title companies, and/or customers at various locations for loan closings as requested. Daily contact via phone and email with Lenders, lending assistants, internal business partners, and external vendors. Communicates with the loan officer, borrower and/or closing attorney to ensure that all requirements have been met prior to closing. Must be able to speak clearly and deliver information in a logical and understandable sequence. Uses analytical and problem-solving skills to effectively communicate with internal and external customers and business partners and quickly elevates any risks or challenges. Works closely with other team members of varying levels of seniority, geographical areas and experience within a cross functional team.
- "Team Support - Provide training and support to Documentation team members helping them to achieve their benchmarks. Identify and share best practices and process improvement ideas.
- Assist Supervisor/Manager with queue management. Assist with research and identifying root causes of customer impacting errors. Work with leadership to find resolution to reduce and/or eliminate these errors. May be responsible for reporting and tracking of volumes, errors, timelines. Ensure that all procedures are kept current and that process are according to documented procedures. "
- Each team member is expected to be aware of risk within their functional area. This includes observing all policies, procedures, laws, regulations and risk limits specific to their role. Additionally, they should raise and report known or suspected violations to the appropriate Company authority in a timely fashion.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Synovus is an Equal Opportunity Employer supporting diversity in the workplace
- Requires a level of knowledge normally gained with a high school diploma or equivalent
- 4 -6 years experience
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Prior experience supporting commercial lenders and/or providing commercial review or preparation of commercial loan documents.
- Superior customer service skills, issue resolution, as well as clear verbal and written communication skills. The ability to successfully work as part of a team that is located in multiple locations while completing individual responsibilities is necessary.
- Must be able to read and carry out written instructions and follow oral instructions. Must be able to complete basic mathematical calculations, spell accurately and understand computer basics.
- Must be able to speak clearly and professionally and deliver information in a logical and understandable sequence. Must be capable of dealing camly and professionally with numerous different personalities from diverse cultures at various levels within and outside of the organization and demonstrate highest levels of customers service and discretion when dealing with the public.
- Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines and requirements for extreme accuracy, quality and/or fast pace. Must be able to effectively handle multiple, simultaneous and changing priorities.
- Must be able to collect, gather, visualize and analyze information in detail.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- 4-6 years experience in Commercial Lending, Loan Due Diligence, Loan Review or Loan Document Processing